AWS Free Usage Tier

Hi everyone, I am Gayithri. My new AWS account was covered by the AWS Free Usage Tier offer but I am still being charged for it. Any idea as to why is this happening ? Please help me out with this.

Hello Gayithri, The Free Usage Tier of AWS applies only to a limited set of AWS resources. Make sure to check if the resource type that you are using is of free-tier.

Here are some of the most common mistakes that we usually do and end up being charged for it.

1. Linux distribution – Make sure you used the standard distribution of Linux. SUSE Linux and Red Hat Linux, are not covered by the free tier.
    SOLUTION: Terminate the instance and launch a new one using the Amazon Linux AMI.
  2. Instance size – Only t1.micro instance usage is covered by the free tier. Standard charges apply on the other instance sizes until you terminate them.
    SOLUTION: Terminate your existing instance and launch a new t1.micro instance.
  3. EBS storage – Check the amount of storage you’ve provisioned in Amazon Elastic Block Store (Amazon EBS) volumes. If the total amount of provisioned storage in your volumes exceeds 30 GB, you will accrue charges for the additional storage.
    SOLUTION: Delete unused Amazon EBS volumes.
    For more information on free usage, please refer - aws.amazon.com/free/